<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 01, 2003

My brother Joel sent me the following quote by John Owen. I don't know if I'll be able to use it in the book (I'm already pushing my word count of 30,000 as it is!) but it's very good:

"With this enemy (sin) we can have neither truce nor peace. So it is vain to hope for any reconciliation with sin. Some try, making 'provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof' (Romans 13:14). But it is like trying to put a fire out with wood and oil. It merely adds fuel to the fire and so increases it. The only way to deal with a fire in your home is to put it out. Nothing else will do. Since the very nature of sin is enmity, the only relief one can find is to utterly destroy it."

This is the attitude I want to encourage people to have towards the sin of lust. I think too many of us have tried the route of making peace with lust instead of seeking to destroy it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?